Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Step Junkie's 3 Levels of Intermediate Step

Here are 3 versions of Intermediate Step, with lots and lots of options. The first layer has many of the bases for the moves shown in the next 2 layers. Enjoy!

If you like the choreography, please click on the ad at the bottom of the video, and the advertiser will pay me :-)



Choreography:

5-Knee Repeater (12) - Turns into hangover hamstrings plus a 3-knee repeater
Basic (4) - or Reverse Turn or Stomp & Switch
1 knee walk back (8)
Double stomp/Single stomp (8) - or "L-Stomp"
2 stomps and a Basic over (same foot) (8) - or 2 stomps and Cut the corner, or Tick-Tock and Cut the Corner
Charleston (8)
Scissor & Pivot (8)
Shuffleturn x2 (8) - or Shuffle straddle

Lunges x6 exit front (16)
Straddle & Jazz Square at home (8) - or Double Squat, over & Jazz Square
L-Step (8)

4-knee Repeater (10)
Alternating Stomps (6) - or chasse turn x2
Double hamstring, Single hamstring (10) - or Pulse-Lunge x2, ham exit
Double knee (6)

2 V-Steps (8) - or Mambo off the end, go Across
Abduct, Abduct Exit home (8)
Repeater hamstring (8) - or Double Lunge off the front

2 Kicks (8) - or Tie the Knot

2 comments:

Fitness Jen! said...

SJ,

I am an avid fan of yours, having found you on YouTube. Thank you SO much for posting your routines, you have given me endless ideas to better spice up my classes. I've only been teaching for 3 years and still have much to learn. Forever I was stuck on the 4-and 8-count moves that we all know and love, and you introduced me to things off the main beat, like 10-count or 6-count moves that I never would have thought of on my own. I'm still getting used to those before venturing to syncopated and other crazy things. My main problem is how to break the off-the-beat ones down for the class. It's a constant challenge but one I love.

I teach in Mesa, AZ and right now I teach multi-step (2 horiz. in the front, 2 horiz. behind those) and I love it. I think it's much harder to teach only 1 step and keep it creative......you obviously have no problem with that. I wish I could take your class sometime. I'll have to look up where you are living :-)

Again, thanks a MILLION for all your great ideas. And thanks for typing the cues on the video, so much easier to figure out than trying to listen to the instructor yell things out.

You ROCK!

:-) Jen

StepJunkie said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. It's really been a fun project to do, and most of the time I don't know if folks like it, can use it, etc. So, I am so touched that you'd take the time to let me know that I've helped you.

There are so many ways to take a simple move and spice it up these days... see how you can change the exit to a straddle, or hold a move for an extra beat to add one more count to the move. Try blending 2 moves together (that's how I came up with a Split Basic with a Jazz Square exit (blended an 8-ct move with a 4-ct move to create a 10-ct move!!). Or, you can add a syncopation to make a move seem completely different.

Anyhow... keep up the great work with your classes, and feel free to ask if I might be able to help you out!!

Step Junkie