Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tap-Free Step

I've been reading with interest the recent Facebook conversation started by Rebecca Small entitled, "Is Step Dead?" (Please visit Rebecca's Facebook Fan Page to see it and a link to her blog: "Rebecca Small International Presenter" on Facebook.)

I'd like to get an idea of how many current Step instructors are teaching using the Tap-Free Step style. "Tap-Free" means that when you exit the step with both feet, you always march right-left or left-right, and never step down and then tap the toe of the other foot and then use that same foot to step up onto the step for the next move.

I think that there is a misunderstanding by some Step instructors that Tap-Free Step is more advanced or difficult than the type of Step that uses taps. While some moves when converted to the Tap-Free style end up requiring some rotation of the body, most tap-free moves are simply smoother than their Tap-Full counterparts.

If you teach Step with taps, I'm interested to know why you haven't converted to Tap-Free. In my mind, Tap-Free Step is the modern state of Step aerobics. When Step first came out, it hadn't occurred to anyone to use something called "tap-free" moves. As Step evolved, someone eventually recognized how much smoother Step choreography could be if the tap-downs were removed. It has caught on across Step presenters/instructors, and yet I don't think it has filtered down to the local gyms.

When I first started teaching Step back in the early 1990s, I did the style with taps because we hadn't heard of "Tap-Free" Step. Eventually, I stopped teaching Step for several years, and when I had the opportunity to teach it again, I was bombarded with information about "Tap-Free" Step. So, I checked it out, and because I wanted to be on the cutting edge of Step choreography, I decided to go 100% tap-free. This means that not only does my final choreography contain zero taps, all of my breakdowns are also tap-free.

If you want to convert to Tap-Free Step, it's not as hard as you think it's going to be. In fact, your cueing will probably be simpler, since you'll never have to cue "tap down" again. Additionally, your class will probably never miss the taps... but they will realize that your choreography has become very smooth and flowing.

To convert to tap-free step, you simply have to find alternatives for only 3 moves:



  • Over the Top/Across the Top - use a glute flyover instead for Over the Top.

  • Turnstep - convert it to a shuffleturn, or turn-turn-cha-cha-cha.

  • "A"-Step - well, this was never one of my favorite moves, so I don't lose sleep over the lack of this move.

Personally, I feel that beginners should never see a tap. I want them to experience 100% flowing, smooth choreography from their very first Step class. We don't walk with taps, so moving from right to left to right leg again is very natural. Sticking those taps in there just feels awkward.

I'm going to turn off the comment moderation on my blog so that comments can go directly to this blog, and let's all hope that I don't get a bunch of spam comments! If you're reading this on Facebook, I'd love to hear your comments, and especially if you are still teaching with taps, I'm interested to hear why you have elected not to convert to tap-free -- no judgment -- I just want you to enlighten me in case there is something I'm missing.

If you have successfully converted to Tap-Free Step, would you share your experience, your challenges with the conversion, and how you overcame those challenges? I'm very interested to hear what you have to say!

I have a genuine desire to do whatever I can to keep our Step classes FULL of happy, sweaty participants. If you have ideas on how we can accomplish this, please speak up and share your ideas!!!

In Step,
Dana


Don't forget to "Like" my Step Junkie Productions page on Facebook. By doing so, you gain access to my videos several days before I post them on YouTube (and in some cases they never get posted to YouTube), as well as information on my upcoming Step workshops.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been a step participant for 10+ years and have taught it for the last 4 years. I agree that tap-free is much easier. There are definitely ways to modify so that you don't tap. I always tell my class to add a knee lift/ham curl to avoid a tap---esp. on Over the Top and Turn Steps. Like you, I prefer a Shuffle Turn to a Basic Turn step. When warming them up, I do 3 Basics or 3 V-Steps and 1 Knee lift to go to the opposite side. I don't do A-Steps in a step class, but I do them with a ham/knee when I'm doing interval work sometimes. I also don't do the old-school hop turn because it requires a tap. If I use one, it's with a straddle. When you take from an instructor who sometimes taps, you are never certain which foot should be your lead foot---can be confusing! With just a few modifications/a little planning, most moves can be tap-free. Thanks for all that you share!

Anonymous said...

I have been a step participant for about 4 years and am now considering becoming a step instructor due to the dreadful, boring instructors I have encountered. None of our instuctors do tap free and yet I see it all the time on YouTube. I love love love the breakdowns of instructors such as SJ, Rebecca Small, Marcus Irwin and others. I find it both challenging and entertaining. I hope that when I start teaching at our local gym that the participants find the style enjoyable and refreshing.

Anonymous said...

I have been teaching step for 10 years and agree that tap free step flows much better. I would never go back to step with taps!
Thanks so much for all of your great ideas.

StepJunkie said...

To anonymous June 12 2:41 p.m. -- I am so happy to hear that you'll be starting to teach. I have always said that if you ever say to yourself, "I could do better than this instructor" then it's time for you to start teaching! I wish you all the best with it, and if your gym would be a host site for a workshop, they would get a lot out of it!

To the Anonymous instructors, I'm thrilled to hear that you are already teaching tap-free and doing what you can to keep Step alive and kicking!

<3 ~Dana (Step Junkie)

Unknown said...

Dana, you have converted me to tap-free, and I'll never go back. I love the smooth fluidity. I use your combos in classes all the time, and everyone loves them. Thanks so much for everything you teach. You offer it freely and with a giving heart, and that says so much about you. You are wonderful! Joan Miller

StepJunkie said...

Hi Joan, Thank you for the nice words! I really do believe that if we have something to give, we should give it. I absolutely LOVE Step. It's my artistic outlet, I guess, and I want everyone to love it like I do. I'm thrilled that you have converted to the tap-free format! Thanks again for writing!

Dana

Anonymous said...

I've been teaching step for 14 years & have been tap-free for teh last 10. I leaned to teach using moves w/ taps and no 32-count combos. When I move to a new gym I was pressured to change style & so happy for it. I feel like a true step instructor teaching tap free w/ combos. It's not a matter of more difficult - it's just the way step should be.

Anonymous said...

Love being tap-free! When I started teaching step, I also was not using the proper 32 ct phrases or tapless choreography. I switched about 10 years ago and feel that everything flows so much better. Routines are a lot more creative and feel almost like a dance when you put them together. Members feel like they've really accomplished something! I always know when I get an old school stepper in class and I'm cueing "no tapping" throughout or "just walk left right left right" :-)