Thursday, January 22, 2009

Best of 2008 Intermediate Step Class

At the end of 2008, I was really ready for a new routine, but also was hoping to give my classes a new class starting in the new year. I didn't have a lot of time, so I thought I'd try a "best of" class where I picked out some of my favorite moves and combinations from all of my 2008 classes. This is the routine I came up with. Actually, the first combo started out as something old, but then I figured out a way to make it new, and I liked it, so I kept it. My classes have really enjoyed this routine, so I ended up keeping it and will be trading it out this week for something new. I hope your classes like this, or parts of it, too.

Dana



Choreography:

Mambo off the end (4)
Stall across (4)
Step down & shuffle up, shuffle down into a Box on the floor (8)
L-Step (8)
Tap Wide, x2 (8)
Over & Toes Repeater (8)
Split Basic (8)
Repeater Knee into an Elvis (8)
Cut the corner (4)
Glute Flye Over (4)

1 Knee, 1 Squat off the end (4)
Tick-Tock, Cross on top, exit & Stomp (8)
Knee Lift Over, x2 (8)* see notes below
Hamstring exit (4)*
Drag, Box, Cha-cha (8)

Revolving Door (8)
L-Stomp with a pivot (8)
Shuffle & Tango (8)
Knees, x2 (8)

*Note: in the video, I did the syncopated version of this, which uses only 6 counts. To make up the extra 2 counts, I did a 2-hamstring repeater to exit. Both ways work -- it just depends on if your class likes syncopation.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi, love your work! I'm a regular visitor to your blogs and you-tube videos since finding you on a Google search late last year.

Can you please help me with how to break down the "Step down, shuffle up, shuffle down, box" section in your first combo? Or at least the shuffle up and shuffle down part... what would the base move for this be before I show the class the shuffle up/down option?

Ashlie said...

Hi again! I remember you doing a move I think you called it a 10 count revolve? Do you happen to know where in your archives it is on a video so I can go back and find out how to do it? I have it in one of my combos, and can't remember for the life of me, how to do it. It has been awhile since I last did this combo, and am having problems figuring it out! Thanks so much. I just love love love your site:)

StepJunkie said...

Hi Fiona, Please email me (you can get the link from my blog profile). It would be easier for me to explain it on email... well, probably it would be best by video... but I'm stuck in a crazy project at work that has me working 10-14 hour days right now (I even had to sub out all of my weeknight classes!!!!!)... so I wouldn't be able to video the breakdown for about 2 weeks, maybe longer. I have 3-4 videos still in my video camera that need to be produced, too!

Send me a note and I'll send you my written notes, and if they are too confusing, I'll work on the video for you. Deal?

Dana (Step Junkie)

Unknown said...

Hi, I am an "old" instructor from Australia, currently 58 years of age. Found your you-tube videos last year while recovering from my second hip replacement. I love your creativity, but especially your willingness to give your ideas away and help others. I like to work off the beat, i.e, 6,5,3,10 count moves as well as 4,8 16, and have found mixing your moves with mine have added zest to my class. My class always knows when I have been on you-tube. Love your site. Thanks